2021’s June Outreach Orientation for new outreach workers was again virtual, taking place from June 7 to June 11. The training consisted of a combination of recorded sessions, videos and selected readings in advance of the live sessions. You can access the pre-work required for each day in the sidebar.
This training is required for new outreach staff funded by NCFHP (or staff who have never attended the annual NCFHP June outreach training, including student interns and volunteers). There are additional spaces reserved for non-NCFHP supported staff at NCFHP sites and other Migrant Health Centers. Anyone is welcome to register, and there is no fee for this training.
The week-long training was recorded, and the playlist of live sessions is available on NC DHHS’s YouTube channel.
Day One: Monday, June 7, 10–12:30
General Overview of NCFHP & Farmworker Population
Estimated time: 2 hours
- Explore the NCFHP Website
- Outreach Manual: Chapter 1: Getting Started (Overview of FW Health Program) (10 pgs.)
- Outreach Manual: Chapter 2: About Farmworkers (6 pgs.)
- Outreach Manual: Chapter 3: Outreach (8 pgs.)
Day Two: Tuesday, June 8, 1–3:30
The Nuts and Bolts of Outreach Work
Estimated time required: 3.5 hours
Required reading for competency exam:
Please read the health education sections below first (pesticides, heat illness, and so on). Test questions are based on the questions in these modules. Then watch the videos.
- Heat Illness (5 pgs.) /Enfermedades por el calor (español) (6 páginas)
- Pesticides (5 pgs.) / Pesticidas (español) (5 páginas)
- Hypertension (4 pgs.)
- Diabetes (6 pgs.)
- Pesticidas y la Ley de Protección del Trabajador (WPS) para Trabajadores Agrícolas (video, 22 min, español)
- Los Pesticidas y los Trabajadores del Campo* (webinario, 30 min, español)
- Enfermedades por Calor * (webinario, 8 min, español)
- Enfermedades Crónicas* (webinario, 1 hora, español)
- Award-winning short patient education videos on the basics of diabetes for patients of all levels of literacy from Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine
Day Three: Wednesday, June 9, 10–12:30
Nuts and Bolts of Outreach Work Cont.
Estimated time: 2.5 hours
- Review health education flashcards
- Glosario de términos LGBT para equipos de atención a la salud (English)
- Make note of any terms that surprised you, confused you, or if you’ve heard other ways people express the same concept.
- COVID presentation (webinario, 50 min, español)
- How vaccines work (video en español, 1 min)
- How vaccines are made (video en español, 1 min.)
- Stories of Farmworkers who had COVID: Historias del Campo
- Vaccine testimonials (2:44)
- LGBT Healthcare Training Video: “To Treat Me, You Have to Know Who I Am” (video, 10:18 min, English)
- Achieving Health Equity for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer (LGBTQ) People (video, 46 min, English)
- Promoting Health Care Access to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Farmworkers (pdf) (7 pgs.)
- Improving the Health Care of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender People: Understanding and Eliminating Health Disparities (pdf) (10 pgs.)
Day Four: Thursday, June 10, 10–12:30
The Nitty Gritty: Case Management, Documentation & Behavioral Health
Estimated time: 1 hour